It's no surprise that our three children are each very different from each other. But our two boys are very, very different.
One makes his bed, one insists that he doesn't need sheets.
One can be trusted with "grown-up" tools, while the other can barely be trusted with a fork.
One is cleaner, one is more dirty.
One is a "good eater", the other eats like a bird.
One is better with figuring out technological things, the other is better with his hands and building things.
One is more athletic, the other enjoys different kinds of books and music.
I don't mean to make one trait seem more "positive" and another more "negative". They both are very sweet and kind. They have their strengths and weaknesses. They are both sinners who need Jesus. It's just interesting to watch as we're trying to parent them in a way that is purposeful and meaningful, the different ways that they process what they're learning.
So, we started giving all 3 kids an allowance a while back. We don't have a system wherein we pay them to do chores or anything like that. (Not that I'm disparaging that system.) It is a "given" that certain things are required of them as a member of our household. We just decided that if we gave them a little bit of money and made them pay for some of their own stuff, it would be easier for them to learn about monetary value, delayed gratification, and all that. And of course, it has been so interesting to watch how they handle this.
Hunter, age 10, receives $10/month. She spends most of it, but she is good about putting the "right" amounts into her piggy bank and the collection plate at church, although she has to be reminded a lot. She doesn't act like her money is burning a hole in her pocket, but if she wants something, she'll go ahead and buy it.
Carter, age 8, receives $8/month. He wants to save up to buy an Ipod. Not an Ipod shuffle, an Ipod Nano. I think they cost $80. He has $62. Do you know how long it takes to save $62 at $8/month minus tithe and savings? He is definitely his father's child. He will not spend a penny. The other day he tried (notice I used the word "tried") to throw a baby-fit because I would not buy him a $6 book at the bookstore that would teach him how to read the footprints of wild animals so could track them.
HE HAS SIXTY-TWO DOLLARS!!
That little lesson makes me think we're doing a good thing because not all that long ago, I wouldn't have thought anything of buying him a $6 book if he really wanted it and probably would have bought him a Nano for his next birthday.
Anyway, Parker, age 6, receives $6/month and his money burns a hole in his pocket. I think he might have had $2 left in his wallet from last month, but that is only because he misplaced his wallet. Today he had his $6 from June. He wanted this Superman watch that was on sale for $3. Then he cried because I wouldn't buy him Lego Batman Wii game for $20. He said things like:
"Saving up takes FOREVER!"
"I'll never be able to do it!"
"I promise I'll pay you back!"
and my personal favorite interaction, which took place WAY AFTER we had left the incident behind us and were getting ready to check out:
Him: "Well, how much money do you have in your purse?"
Me: "None that is for Wii games."
Him: "But don't you have one of those little cards?"
Exactly.
3 comments:
Parker sounds so much like my Bethany!
hi man,follow me!
Can you learn me create a beautiful blog?
I'm from brazilian, nice to meet you!
good bye
Er um, I'm NOT from Brazilian... But I wanted to tell you I share the feelings about facebook and am trying to get my blog back from the brink of extinction. It's not easy. I love your sense of humor and always enjoy reading your blog, so I'm glad you're back, too! Also, Parker and Coleman should never be roommates, they'd end up with lots of stuff from the dollar store and no food or rent money!!! HAHA!
Post a Comment