PS: The reason the title has the word "Daddy" in it is because one of our friends got hung up with something and her husband brought their daughter to the book discussion. What a sport!
Friday, June 13, 2008
Mother (Daddy)/Daughter Book Club
In the spring I was trying to think of ways to get Hunter & her friends together for something different and fun this summer. My friend Kim Cates ran across the idea for a mother/daughter book club. Hunter loves to read and I thought this was a great idea to encourage the girls' love of reading and to start training them to look at literature through "Christ-colored glasses." Last night was the first discussion. We had read Stuart Little. It was so much fun. There were three girls. We had a "little" snack: small ham sandwiches, apple slices, mini pretzels, mini chocolate chip cookies & lemonade. We did a craft: a mouse bookmark (pictured below) and most importantly, we discussed the book. I was so impressed by the girls' ability to discuss the book. Not just what happened, but what it meant to them. They were able to tell things that were in line with God's word and things that went against it. And best of all, they loved it and want to do it again! Hopefully the word will spread and we'll have a couple more girls next time. I know there were several people who wanted to come but had schedule conflicts. We're definitely planning to do it again, probably at the beginning of August. Any suggestions of good classic books for children?
PS: The reason the title has the word "Daddy" in it is because one of our friends got hung up with something and her husband brought their daughter to the book discussion. What a sport!
I ordered Hunter's book from Amazon for less than $5 (with shipping) and it turns out to be a First Edition (1945). Sheesh!
PS: The reason the title has the word "Daddy" in it is because one of our friends got hung up with something and her husband brought their daughter to the book discussion. What a sport!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I LOVE IT!!! I so wish Kenzie and I could be there to share the books with you all. Your bookmark was so cute. A first edition??? That's awesome! Definitely one to pass down through the generations. Great job! love,kim
What a super idea! Really glad it went so well!
You rock, John!!!! As I was running around the park chasing my boys you got some girl time in!!! Rock on, dude!
Cool idea - I always loved the Secret Garden, and you could do all sorts of fun things with that.. tulip bulb planting... marigold seed harvesting and planting... just a thought...
Black Beauty could be fun.
Post a Comment