I've decided that I can really only do one or the other. That's why it's been such a long time since I posted. I thought for a moment that FaceBooking could take the place of my blog, but really, they're very different. FaceBook is a very instantly gratifying activity. There's always someone on there to banter with. You can get instant responses to whatever you say on there. Assumming, of course, that what you say generates any interest. And therein lies the rub. I find myself overly concerned about seeming smart and witty. This is important to me. People who know me well know that I am, but what about the other 179 people who read what I post on FB? And so, I feel very edited on FB. I edit what I post. There are so many things that I would like to say on FB in response to what people have written or posted in the way of pictures and links. But, are we really "friends"? Would you think that I've made my point in a way that is both intelligent and witty?
And this brings me to my point about blogging. There have been plenty of times when I've had something to say on FB that does not just scrape the surface of who I am, or who someone else is and I've wondered how to go about doing this. Some people actually post personal notes on FB with their thoughts. That's interesting, but that note gets posted on the newsreel of every one of your "friends". I personally do not want to force my personal thoughts onto the newsreels of others. Even 187 of my closest "friends". Now, if they choose to click on the link to my blog. That's something different. That means they might actually be interested in what I have to say and are not just clicking because it's right in front of their face. Not that I would ever know that information.
And so, I'll be blogging more from now on. At least, that's my goal. I've changed the privacy settings for several reasons, one of them being that I think it will help in my quest not to be a control freak. And, despite my current ramblings, the intent of my blog will be what it has been since I started it two years ago: to update those interested in the adventures and misadventures of the McCaigErs. I'm sure everyone is thrilled. Now, this doesn't mean that I won't be on FB, because I'm sure I will. I've reconnected with lots of people from back in the day and been able to interact with long distance family in a way that I've never been able to do. And for that, I am very grateful.
OK, stick a fork in me...
3 comments:
yay! i don't have to enter a username and password anymore! glad to read more mccaiger posts. love,kim
p.s.-i have to enter my username and password to leave my comment.
yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my day is now complete. thank you!
I totally agree with you about FB, there have been several times when I delete what I'd really like to say b/c you never know who will be reading. I enjoyed your ramblings...I miss you. :)
Post a Comment