Wednesday, February 3, 2010

This post doesn't have pictures

I've realized that I am a perfectionist. I used to think that it couldn't be possible that I was a perfectionist because perfectionists have perfect things, right? Right? No? Oh. It's taken me a while to figure that out.

Why haven't I been posting to my blog? Well, I'm very busy, you see. Too busy to be taking pictures of the McCaigers' every adventure and posting it to my blog. But I suddenly had a revelation: "Every post does not have to have pictures." Hmmm. What a concept.

I changed my "about me" section because I've been thinking about this blog and about why I started it. It's a journal of sorts. It's not a super personal journal because technically, anyone in the whole world with a computer could read it. It's more the lighter side of my life with a husband and kids. My life. Some day my kids will be able to read this. Wouldn't that be interesting if you could read what your mom was thinking on the day of any given event or experience? Ahhh, technology.

Perfectionists are procrastinators. Now THAT is something that resonates with me. Even though I have time to pay the bills today, I can't. I can't pay them because it's Wednesday and somewhere along the way I decided that I pay bills on Thursdays. But tomorrow, I might get called to substitute teach and then I won't be able to pay the bills because when I get home, I'll have so much to do with the kids, house, dinner, Hunter's voice lessons, etc. So the bills will get paid...??? you get the idea. You see how nothing happens until everything lines up perfectly? And that's why nothing happens. *sigh*

It stops today though. Because today, I did a blog post with no pictures.

5 comments:

Lotus said...

I actually had someone suggest to me that I was a perfectionist based on my housekeeping skills. Really? You could have fooled me. Makes total sense though, you put things off because the conditions have to be just right. I decided there are worse things than being a perfectionist. Hoarder, for example, comes to mind. I love my life.

Lotus said...

Lazy, is another.

Unknown said...

This is interesting, because I have recently realized that I think I am a perfectionist too! I totally procrastinate to avoid doing things that I can't do perfectly, and have done that my whole life. Realizing this about myself has helped me recognize when I am doing it, if only I had realized all this when I was still in school!

-Joy Lynne

Shannon said...

Yay! A post! Awesome! You can even do a post with, like, one sentence. I do them all the time. Um, because I'm lazy. But at least I'm not a hoarder.

mccaigs5 said...

I wonder why I'm not getting emails when people leave comments anymore?! I checked my settings and it says that I'm still signed up for that. Anyway, LOL@ Shan. I hear ya. Lazy is much better than being a hoarder. Both would be REALLY bad. Hi Joy Lynne!