Monday, August 20, 2007

Our Baby Girl is 7!!

Hunter today, still blasting into the world with her amazing energy and spirit. That remote control was permanently attached to her hand, by the way. We had to have it surgically removed: by the cable guy who shuts off all the fun channels.
This is Hunter 7 years ago, what a tiny angel.

Proud Daddy: tired but happy.


This is my favorite picture of Lonnie. She looks so happy! It was the day before the 1st day of school. She was going into 10th grade. On that Saturday before, my mom had a baby shower for me. Lonnie hadn't gone school clothes shopping yet, so that night my mom gave me her credit card and Brent and I took Lonnie shopping at the mall. I remember feeling oddly energetic. I opted to take the stairs instead of the elevator. This, from a person who hadn't walked more than a few feet at a time in months. I was so sick and tired when I was pregnant with Hunter. After we finished shopping, we had a bite to eat at Wendy's. I had chicken nuggets and fries with a big coke. (I remember this because they unfortunately made a second appearance later in the evening.) I remember Lonnie saying "Maybe it will be tonight, while I'm spending the night!" I said I didn't think so, since I still had 5 days 'til my due date and everyone told me not to be surprised when I go past my due date. When we got home, Lonnie and I stayed up 'til after midnight putting away all the presents we had gotten. We also had a big box waiting for us with tons of hand-me-downs from Brent's sister (stuff for both a boy and a girl since we didn't know what we were having). It took a while to look at all these and separate them out. I was exhausted when we finally went to bed. I woke up at 3am because I had a stomach ache. I thought surely I wasn't in labor because everyone had warned me not to be surprised if I thought I was in labor when I really wasn't. So I got out my trusty "What to Expect when you're Expecting" book and turned to the section that tells you what to do to decide whether or not you might be in labor. You know, drink 2 glasses of water; walk around if you're resting, rest if you're being active; take a shower. By the time I was to "take a shower", I was pretty sure I was in labor. My shower woke up Brent and we decided we should count contractions. Oh dear, a minute and a half long and no time in between! This is not good. This is about when the pain kicked in with amazing strength. This woke up Lonnie, who was very excited/scared. Everyone had told Brent to be prepared for the 1st labor to be a long one, so he was in no hurry. He showered and shaved and took his sweet time, while Lonnie and I sat in the car. She sat silently in the back seat while I cursed his name. I was convinced that I was going to have the baby in the car. We finally made it to the hospital around 6am. The nurses didn't seem to believe me when I told them the baby was "coming out". They were convinced after they checked me. I barely made it into the bed before Hunter came blasting into the world! My mom got there right at the last minute, as well as my midwife. Poor Lonnie had to witness the whole thing because I didn't want her to sit in the waiting room by herself and no one got there in time to sit with her. I was afraid she would be traumatized for life. The above picture was taken later that day, so I think she was ok. I remember her fussing with my parents because she didn't want to go to school the next day, she wanted to stay with me and the baby.
Hunter had jaundice too, but not as bad as the boys. She just had to sit in the window in her diaper for a few days. Those first days were so traumatic! I never thought she would nurse without a fight! But she did. And she was so cute!

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

Precious. I love your memories of Lonnie. Happy Birthday Hunter!

mccaigs5 said...

the pic & memories of Lonnie got me teary-eyed. can't believe it's been 7 seven years. seems like yesterday Hunter was born!

Kim said...

I love the last picture of Hunter!! I don't think I ever saw that one. So cue!! love, kim

lisa said...

I will never forget Lonnie running towards me with a big smile and saying ITS A GIRL! I cant believe it Im an aunt. Then Lonnie and I basically just stared at Hunter all day, watching every little move she made. "Oh my look, shes yawning!" So Cute! I fell in love with the little angel at first sight, just as I did with all my nephews.

Unknown said...

I Miss Lonnie

Lotus said...

Yes she is an angel.
It's interesting to hear your side of things. Lonnie told me the things you said while you all waited in the car. Funny.
I knew you had gone to the mall, but didn't realize that you had gone school clothes shopping for Lonnie. Do you remember what you bought? Was it just you two? Or Brent too.
I can't believe that was 7 years ago. I also can't believe that you just silently endured labor until you were only a couple minutes apart.
How did King make a picture of her eye come with her comment?
ARe you liking your email subscription to my blog, I haven't gotten any feedback, but they give me a list of who is subscribed.
Happy Belated Birthday to our precious Hunter, I knew it was her birthday, BTW.
Hope to see you next week, got your phone calls, thanks.

mccaigs5 said...

I remember that we bought a bunch of stuff at Old Navy. Some jeans, some black pants, a few shirts. And I remember that she needed shoes but I think we couldn't find any. I feel like that was one of her reasons for not wanting to go to school Monday, because she still needed shoes. It was Lonnie and Brent and me. We used to be a threesome before the kids were born. She spent the night with us almost every Friday, joining us in our family tradition of pizza and a rented movie! I don't know how Kim got that picture of her eye to come up, she's very techno-advanced. She could prob. tell you. I like having the email subscription to your blog. Love the pics of Finley at daycare--so cue! Or maybe in Finley's case it's--soak you! But, I find that I don't make comments on it b/c I already get to see what it is without logging on and then I have to log on to make a comment. Ok, talk to you later!

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Hunter!!! Great post, great memories. I love the pics. Miss you guys, Shan