Monday, July 9, 2007

Feeding the Ducks

"The geese are coming! I get to throw rocks!"




Our neighbors down the street live on the lake. They have a whole bunch of animals that they take care of, including hand feeding the ducks that live on the lake. While they were away last week, we fed the ducks and bunny for them every morning. The kids had a great time with it. The duckies would be waiting in the yard for us when we got there. They'll eat out of bowls or right out of your hand. I love it when they walk across my feet with their webbed feet, it feels cool.
Also living on the lake is a group of about 25 Canadian Geese. These geese are fairly nasty by nature. They're mean and very aggressive. I'm pretty sure they would kill you if they could. They chase the kids around and try to flap them to death with their wings. They also chase the little duckies from the food and eat it all up, so someone has to stand lookout. When the lookout sees the geese coming, we throw rocks and pinecones at them to get them to swim the other way. (Parker loves this part--the part about throwing rocks). I had a pic of the geese coming, but I accidentally deleted it.
On the 4th of July, Daddy got to come with us to feed the ducks. I'm not sure that it's really necessary for people to buy special duck food for ducks that live on a lake and hand feed them twice a day--but it was fun for a week!
P.S. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those ducks remind me of the ducks we had in Florida. They ate the dog food

cute pics thx

Dad

Kim said...

Geese are nasty. Anyone driving past BCC when we were there would've seen me and the kids running for our lives to get away from the one goose that was chasing us.

lisa said...

Yea makes me think when i was a kid feeding the ducks in fla. My niece and nephews are sooo bea-U-TI-ful.

mccaigs5 said...

The only difference is that those ducks in Fl were nasty with big ugly red growths on their heads. These are pretty mallard-type ducks. I wouldn't go near those other ones. I actually saw one the other day in the neighborhood, I think it's been shunned from the group and is out on its own b/c it doesn't travel with the rest of the group. I guess ducks don't know about beauty only being skin deep.

Unknown said...

Ducks of a feather flock together