Monday, September 24, 2007

Happy Birthday Lonnie

There are two birthday posts for September 25. I will do the hard one first. Lonnie would have been 23 years old today. I love to look at these pictures, but it's also hard. It's really really hard. Yes, I do remember the day she was born very well. I was 11 years old and in 6th grade. My parents woke me up in the night to let me know they were leaving for the hospital. They left us at home. Laura was 7 and Lisa was almost 4. (Man, I was a responsible 6th grader!)I got up and sat on the couch for a while, too excited to go back to sleep right away. Laura woke up and sat next to me. I told her mom and dad had left and she seemed fine with that. (The next morning she started freaking out because she couldn't find mom and dad and she didn't remember getting up with me)! In the morning, we got dressed and went over to the next door neighbors. They got us off to school and whatever. I could hardly concentrate during school and was so excited when I came around the corner from the bus stop and saw that my dad was home. I went in the front door and he was asleep on the couch. There were all these papers on the counter, so I started sifting through them, looking for the coveted piece of information: Was it a brother or a sister?!? I found it on one of them and I was very excited. Three sisters! My dad took us that night to see her. Lisa said she looked Chinese. She had a big nose and she was VERY long and thin. I don't know exactly how long and thin, but I remember when I first held her, her legs hung down over the side of my leg. My mom told me to get off the air conditioner while I was holding the baby.

Lonnie was like my own baby doll. I loved to feed her, change her, get her dressed, rock her to sleep, get her out of bed. (Hello moms, how awesome would that be?) I was like a built-in Nanny. And I was free!

I am sad today, because I miss my baby sister. I don't know if it's appropriate, or how it works, but I would like to ask Jesus to tell her Happy Birthday, and that I love her, miss her and think about her every day. We all do.
Carson William? Is that you? This was taken at Christmas time. The resemblance between them is striking and seems almost
supernatural. What a gift when I look at him and see so much of her. Even his personality, the way he talks and his mannerisms are like hers. When she was 4 years old, she broke her arm by tripping on her towel while running down the hall (take note all you who have children running through your house). I remind my kids of this often because I just know they're going to get hurt. She had to have surgery on her elbow and had a huge scar on the top and bottom of it.

This is on a trip to Disney.


Brent and Lonnie have the same birthday. They are 16 years apart. This picture was taken when she came to Florida with us one time, when I was pregnant with Hunter. We used to be the Three Amigos. She used to spend almost every Friday night with us when we first moved here. Eating pizza and watching rented movies. She would hang out with me on Saturdays while Brent was working. Sometimes she would grocery shop with me. When she was an early teen, she would get really annoyed that she had to share her birthday with Brent. In the later years, she was annoyed with herself for that. She said, "Oh, poor Brent." He didn't really mind though. She was always with us for significant things. She was there the day we got engaged. She was their every time we moved. She was there for the birth of every one of our babies. She was there the night that we got the phone call that Brent's sister Kim had died. Every time I think of some significant thing in my life, she was there. She came with my mom and dad to drop me off at college. She stayed up all night waiting for us to arrive when we first came to visit them in Atl. Man I miss her.



Lonnie and her boys.


7 comments:

Kim said...

What a beautiful remembrance of Lonnie. You were an incredible big sister to her. How blessed she was to have all three of you as her sisters! love, Kim

Brad & Stacey said...

LeeAnn-
All I can say is that I am sorry. I can't imagine how much you must miss her. Thanks for sharing your sweet memories with the rest of us.
Stacey

Unknown said...

Well between the time We left and you finding me asleep alot happened. Lonnie was not born like the rest you, isn't that interesting, she came out after a long battle and only when the doctors had to go in and get Her did She make Her debut, kind of like Christmas morning in Little Rock, not comming down the stairs to open gifts.

I was the oldest and its true the oldest seems to be given more responsability but it also seems like Lonnie the youngest tend to want responsability .

While your Mom labored all night the only channel on the tv in the hospital room was country music like mtv only all country.
funny how Lonnie liked country music.
All of you are so unique and special, I am proud of all you.

I hurt because I miss Lonnie, I hurt because I can not take the pain you guys are having away and so I can only say :God you you are soveran and we know all things are in your will, God give our angel a kiss today .

lisa said...

I was only 4 but I do remember being at the hospital holding my baby sister,and I remember my dad saying be careful,hold her head.
I remember crying for my mom and dad all night. I couldnt breathe if I thought I got left behind. HaHa. I miss her so much, Happy Birthday Lonnie!

Amy Ross said...

LeeAnn,
I too am so sorry. Today must be a bittersweet day for you. What wonderful memories you have. I pray that her boys grow up with such blessed memories as well. What a blessing you and Brent are to them.
Amy

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of Lonnie! I remember when we met in high school I though how cool it was that you had a sister so young. The picture of Lonnie with the broken elbow standing in front of the paddle boat in your Pembroke Lakes house brings back so many memories! Lonnie's boys are so lucky to have you and Brent!
Love,
Nancy

Lotus said...

We love Lonnie and don't forget the other post. Reminder to come over manana.