Thursday, March 12, 2009

Unreal!!!

My family has a love affair with sour cream.

It doesn't matter what I put on the table: Mexican food, chile, chicken, pork, even pasta. Someone will look around and say "Hey, where is the sour cream?" It's a shame.

And times are tough, you know. Money is tight. It's always been tight, but it's tighter than it's ever been. Everyone is stressed about the economy and what kind of sales year this will turn out to be. Therefore, I've really been trying to pinch our pennies even more than usual. So today, before I went to the grocery store, I stopped at the Dollar Store which is in the same shopping center. You can get lots of stuff there that is needed, you know. I always forget that. Envelopes, shampoo for the kids, body wash, they even had name brand deoterant today. I got several items from my list that would have cost more than a dollar at the grocery store. Well today I thought I'd wander through the food aisles and see if there was anything there that was on my list. There were a few things. And then I realized that they now have some refrigerated and frozen foods. Wow. For a dollar. I was intrigued. And then I saw it: A big tub of sour cream for a dollar! Good deal. It wasn't a brand I'd heard of before, but I thought we could give it a try.

So I bought that stuff and then the rest of my groceries.

But when I got home and was unloading them, I noticed that something was amiss with my bargain find. Can you see it?



I think that my first indication that something was wrong should have been that it says "Unreal!!!" in the corner. But I thought that meant "unrealistically delicious sour cream". I know you see it: it says SOUR CREME instead of SOUR CREAM. What the heck does that mean? I read the ingredients which is at least a mile long (I usually do this at the store. What was wrong with me today? I'm feeling sick, you know.) Yikes.

So there it sits, unopened. Because now I am very, very afraid. I know that I will not feed it to my kids. But I bet Brent will eat because we did spend a dollar on it and all.

The moral of the story is this: Beware of the refrigerated section at the Dollar Store. And read the ingredients. You really shouldn't be eating stuff that is completely manufactured in a plant. You are what you eat, you know.

No comments: