Saturday, March 7, 2009

What's In A Name?

Our children have very special names. Each name was especially thought out, debated on and eventually chosen by Brent and me. Some are family names, some came on a whim & fancy, some just seemed to "go". And yes, we named our daughter a "boys'" name: Hunter. I can't remember if I was pregnant or if we were just thinking about having children, but I remember standing in the checkout line at the grocery store one day and there was a picture of Hunter Tylo on the cover of a magazine and in big letters next to her, it said "HUNTER". (I didn't really know who she was at the time.) I was struck by the contrast, a very masculine name on an incredibly gorgeous woman. I thought "Wow, I love that!!" I was certain that Brent would never go for it. He's way more traditional than I am in many ways. But, when I went home and told him about it, he loved it too. He said, "Wow, that's perfect, I love it". And so, Hunter it was. "Hunty", "Hunnie", "Hunt", "Hunter Jean, Beauty Queen". Etc. I think it's very femine on her and unique. There aren't very many female Hunters in the world, but there are a few.



But, being unique is apparently not a good thing when you're a girl in the 3rd grade. Hunter came home one day a couple of weeks ago begging me to send an email to her teacher stating that we were changing her name to "Nicole". I don't think so. I thought it would go away after a few days or a week but every morning she woke up asking if I had "thought about it enough yet". "Thought about what?" I would ask. "You know, the name thing?" She said that Hunter is a boys name and all the kids make fun of her (My sister Lisa did tell me this would happen), and that she just wanted to have a "normal" name. One that has more than one girl in the school with the same name. I explained to her the story of how Daddy and I came up with her name and how much we love it. I googled Hunter Tylo and showed her the pictures. I said, "Does this look like a boy to you?":


I didn't think so. She was quite impressed for a minute and it made her rethink having me call the government to have her name legally changed (this always worked with my sisters and me as I recall b/c we would get scared and change our minds. Lisa was recalling a time when Lonnie wanted her name legally changed to "Gertie" and I recall an experience with the word "Bathroom". I was confused about why this was just a word and not a name. Hunter just asked us if we would loan her the $200 we told her it cost to do get it done.) But, "Hunter Tylo is a model and I'm just a GIRL!" *sobbing*
*sigh*


I didn't want to make her feel guilty about it or anything but I want her to know that her name means a lot. I don't want to encourage her to change with the wind. Because you know, this week it's Nicole, next week it will be Isabella, Gabriella or Jennifer. So we had a long talk about it and we at least got her to hold off the official government name-change for 1 month. And then on Friday I was going through her school papers from this week and I ran across this:
Yes, it say "Alisa McCaig". Just trying it on for size I guess. I'm surprised I didn't get an email from the teacher. Aye.

4 comments:

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

I am going through that with Abbie right now too. She wants to be Abbie with a "y" instead of an "ie" because she is the only one. there are times when I think I will not survive puberty when it arrives. :)

Kim said...

Oh Hunter! Papi, can't we fast forward all these years to when she's 24 and LOVES her name? :)

Lotus said...

I didn't like it when you were preggers either, don't know if you remember if I said anything out loud or not, cause I certainly don't remember.
But if you'd named her Bailey or whatever everone else in her school is named, she'd be like, why do I have to be Bailey M? Why can't I just be Bailey, why can't I just have a name that there are not 3 others in my class.
There are many names that are traditionally boys names that became girls names to our times because of exactly what you did to Hunter's name. It is very pro-woman. Examples are Ashley and Lauren. Not to mention what the 60's did to Teri, Keri, Traci. Tell her that Uncle Tracy has a girl's name and he's fine with it.... Did she ever notice that she has an Aunt Carrie and an Unle Cary? It's all over the place. Lee is boys/girls. As is her Nana's name, Jean.
Anyways, you lucked out on this one LeeAnn, she turned out really beautiful, if she wasn't I'd be like, why don't we just let her be called Elizabeth or something. (No offense to Elizabeths everywhere) Ha
Glen Close
No one has the middle name Andrews that I know of and Parker is boys or girls; carter too, though not as common....

Cheryl Baker said...

And Lonnie wanted to know where I got the name Chylon. But everyone said it was a beautiful name. They thought it was from a soap opera. I don't know if she liked Lonnie or Chylon or neither.

ZhaZha