Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ice Cream Sundaes and Pet Rocks

I am more of a plan "executor" than a plan "maker". If you tell me what your idea is, I can figure out a way to make it happen. I don't mind organizing who is responsible for what and making sure that everything is done on time. But the plan itself must come from someone else b/c I am not a visionary. Or very creative for that matter.

Case in point: being a room mom.

I did a post at the beginning of the school year about the fact that I'm co-room mom for Hunter's 3rd grade class (a mistake I will not make in the future). It hasn't been that bad, but it has been a lot to say the least. Two of the responsibilities of the room mom are to plan and execute a Winter and a Spring class party. This requires ideas for crafts, games and snacks. ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I COULD do it by myself if I absolutely had to, but I would a)not be very happy about it and b)probably not do a very good job. I am a "less is more" sort of person and it doesn't seem like that would go over well in the planning of these class parties. Or any kind of party for that matter, since parties are about celebrating and having a good time, excess seems to be a requirement. And that's difficult for me.

Anyway, I've been thankful for my co-room mom, Michelle. She's like me in that she does everything at the last possible second (is there any more productive way to do it? Wait, don't answer that) and is ultra-flexible. But she's also an "idea person". Excellent.

The point? Today was Hunter's class Spring Party. This is important for several reasons. The most important of which is that it marks the last major event in my career as a room-parent. (WOO-HOOOO!) Also, we want the kids to have fun celebrating Spring and the end of the school year. (Which I can't believe is upon us already).

Michelle came up with the idea for a Zen Garden and Pet Rocks and a Sundae Party. Photos of which are as follows. The kids really had a great time decorating their rocks into pets. I wish I had gotten more photos, but (of course) my camera's battery was dying.

All this to say, "Happy Spring!" Spring Break is next week and we're just going to be Chillaxin' at home.

Awesomeness.



Sundae toppings. Yum.



Hunter and her Sundae.

Decorating pet rocks.


This is Hunter's pet rock: "Samantha McCaig". She's laying on the beach on her beach towel, under her umbrella, next to beautiful blue water, surrounded by pebbles and seashells.
Man, I wish I was a pet rock right now.



This one belongs to a boy next to Hunter. I liked it b/c it looks like it's really laying on the beach and the blue rocks are the ocean. Cuteness.
By the way, most of the boys were confused by this craft and couldn't figure out what the point was of a pet rock. Or a Zen Garden. I said, "Just keep the rocks in the box until you get home, then do whatever you want with them".
Boys...

2 comments:

Kim said...

Come visit me and we can be pet rocks at the beach...

I'm with the boys. I have never understood a rock as a pet. But those turned out really cute! love,kim

Shannon said...

I'm glad you have served your time well and can NEVER do it again! Yay for summer!